OC Events have released media details for the Artemis Transat held earlier this year.
The majority of the coverage was around the IMOCA 60 fleet, although the Class40 secured strong coverage themselves especially in Italy (Giovanni Soldini), Germany (Boris Herrman), Devon/Cornwall (Alex Bennett) and the South region (Miranda Merron).
- The first of two important studies looking back at the 13th edition of the famous single-handed transatlantic race, confirms expectations exceeded – media coverage of over 10 million Euros in value, SMS confirming a total of 6.5 million Euros in UK and France
- Over 500 media from 30 countries officially accredited
- Surveys of competing teams indicate overwhelming support for the event – 100% of skippers confirming they would participate again.
- 1000 strong website user survey confirms 91% thought the race website ‘Good or Very Good’
- Results of an economic impact survey for Plymouth and the South West of England, hosts to the start of the race, to be published at the end of October
Full report available for download at http://www.ocftp2.com/TheArtemisTransat_Report/TheArtemisTransat_Report.pdf
Full SMS report available for download at http://www.ocftp2.com/TheArtemisTransat_Report/SMSReport.pdf
Media Evaluation Figures:
- Total media value : £5,206,277 (€6,599,960) across UK and France including international TV distribution. Monitored media only includes TV, print and online not radio.
- Total media value UK : £3,156, 822 (€4,004,744)
- Total media value France : £1,981,596 (€2,513,853)
- The highest value of coverage was achieved in the TV sector accounting for 57% of the value followed by print at 32% (UK market).
- The largest volume of coverage was achieved online at 51%, followed by print at 23% and then TV at 17% (UK market).
Media Coverage Highlights:
- BBC Breakfast 2-minute feature at start plus BBC Breakfast weather live from the race village
- BBC News Channel live coverage on start day in excess of 2+ hours
- Channel 4 30-minute documentary programme
- Gillette World of Sport 3 mins feature (world’s most-watched sports programme) plus 42 airlines
- Seamaster Sailing dedicated features pre-start, during and post-race
- Print coverage across UK broadsheets plus the New York Times and International Herald Tribune.
- Extensive regional coverage across Devon/Cornwall and other regions
- Extensive coverage in France surrounding Loick Peyron’s historic win – national terrestrial TV news, in headlines as first subject, including TF1, France 3, France 2, LCI, M6, Equipe TV, etc. Major headlines news for all French print media and national radio including France Info, RMC, Europe 1, etc.
- Main website just under half a million visits from 71 countries
- 1.6 million page views, average time on site nearly 5 minutes
- 100+ other websites using syndicated content
- Media server had 12,000 visits with 1000s of video/photos downloaded for media use.
- 2d viewer had 250,000 visits by 84,000 unique visitors
- Nearly 1 terabyte of video data downloaded with 1.5 million video players loads, 261,241 minutes of video downloaded in total
- 91% of viewers thought the site Good or Very Good
- 87% of users thought the content was Good or Very Good (52%)