IMOCA (International Monohull Open Class Association), the governing body responsible for the technical regulations of the Open 60 yachts currently competing in The Vendée Globe, has confirmed its official 2009 race calendar.
As the International fleet continues to expand year on year, IMOCA knows that capitalising on the continued growth and success of the Class depends largely upon the sponsors and International markets it can attract. With France firmly secured and at the heart of the Open 60 racing circuit, the Class’ success has been seen to grow substantially in the UK over the past 8 years. IMOCA Vice President Mike Golding has been leading the way and the number of British Open 60 sailors continues to increase. Spain is the latest consolidated IMOCA market, with The Barcelona World Race taking place every four years.
And Turkey is the most recent country to invest in the Class, enabling the inaugural European Protour race to start from Istanbul this August. The European Pro Tour is a crewed race, aimed at amalgamating the key European markets of IMOCA within one event.
2009 IMOCA Open 60 Calendar
- 30 April – 3 May Grand Prix Petit Navire
- 21 June Calais Round Britain – crewed race around Britain, starting and finishing in Calais
- 29 August European Pro Tour Istanbul, Turkey – Nice, France
- 9 September European Pro Tour Nice – Barcelona, Spain
- 14 September European Pro Tour Barcelona – UK*
- 27 September European Pro Tour UK – Brest, France
- 7 November Transat Jacques Vabre Le Havre – Costa Rica, doublehanded