Desjoyeaux Wins Vendee Globe in New Record


f-desjoyeauxMichel Desjoyeaux has won the Vendee Globe. The IMOCA 60 FONCIA crossed the finish line on Sunday 1st February 2009 at 15h11’08” UT. FONCIA took 84 days, 03 hours, 09 minutes and 08 seconds to sail around the globe at an average speed of 12.30 knots.

The time beat the previous record set in 2004 (Vincent Riou on PRB of 87d 10h 47m) by 3 days 07 hours and 39 minutes, even with a deficit of 41 hours having had to turn back in the opening days of the race and restart.

Initial reactions from Michel Desjoyeaux after crossing the finish line:

“It’s incredible… In addition there was a small ray of sunshine as I crossed the finish line. It’s magical; it’s indescribable… It’s really phenomenal. I can’t really get my head round it… I don’t understand, I’m making the most of it and I’ll get my head round it afterwards…”

“The race is won 80% before the start: in the choices made by the team, in the organisation, in the serenity, in the experience, it’s a whole bunch of things… The remaining 20%: it’s the competition, the race…”

“Jules Verne said it took 80 days to circumnavigate the globe. Even with these boats, in 4 years time, it’ll easily be feasible… If you take away the 40 hour deficit and follow a less N’ly trajectory without ice, it’s feasible…”