The RC44 Championship Tour has announced six regattas for 2009. The class will be suppored by DHL, BMW and SLAM. World renowned teams and sailors will once again participate in the tour, making it one of the world’s prime sailing events.
The main features of the RC 44 Championship Tour are the logistical support brought to the teams, the quality of the venues, the level of hospitality and, of course, the one-design and unique pro driver / owner-driver – match race / fleet race concept.
Class Manager, Bertrand Favre says:
‘Our focus is on the teams. Our goal is to support them as well as we can, for example by coordinating the transport of the boats, announcing the dates and venues a long time ahead, and providing an exciting program both on the water and on land.’
Indeed, the RC 44 Class provides a strong logistical and financial support to the teams. For examples, the custom paperwork are facilitated and accelerated, the shipments are organised, and sometimes financed. The boat owners, the sponsors and the guests of the Class also benefit from a free BMW shuttle service, for example from the airport or to a restaurant.
The season’s first regatta will take place in two weeks. The Puerto Calero Islas Canarias RC 44 Cup will begin on Wednesday February 25 with the match racing event. The DHL Trophy regatta will take place on Sunday.
The season champions will be crowned on November 29 in Dubai, at the end of the RC 44 Gold Cup. For the first time, the Gold Cup will count double, making it a must-attend regatta for all the teams.
With six international regattas, some of the world’s best sailors and new teams joining the Class, the third RC 44 Championship Tour will be one of sailing’s top international events in 2009.
The teams involved in the Puerto Calero Islas Canarias RC 44 Cup:
- Ceeref, Igor Lah / Sébastien Col
- Team Aqua, Chris Bake / Cameron Appleton
- Artemis, Torbjorn Tornqvist / Dean Barker
- BMW Oracle Racing, Russell Coutts
- ESP – 1 Islas Canarias Puerto Calero – José Calero / José Maria Ponce
- ESP – 2 Islas Canarias Puerto Calero – Carlos Morales / Luis Doreste
- Team Organika – Maciej Nawrocki / Karol Jablonski
- NED 18 – Pieter Heerema / Philippe Presti
RC 44 Championship Tour 2009 – The program: – Date – Regatta – Organiser – Town
- February 24 – March 01 – Puerto Calero Islas Canarias RC 44 Cup – Puerto Calero, Spain, Canary Islands, Puerto Calero
- April 22 – 26 – Cagliari RC 44 Cup – Yacht Club de Cagliar – iItaly, Cagliari
- May 25 – 31 – RC 44 Austria Cup, Profs Austria, Lake Traunsee, Austria
- July 8 – 12 – RC 44 Malcesine Cup 2009 Continental Challenge -Fraglia Vela Malcesine, Italy, Lake Garda, Malcesine
- September 29 – October 4 – TBC
- November 25 – 29 – Dubai RC44 Gold Cup – DIMC, United Arab Emirates, Dubai