Stanford Scandal takes wind out of Antigua Sailing Week Sails. 1

Antigua is having a rough time at the moment. As if the murder last month of yacht skipper Drew Gollan was not enough, the famous Antigua Sailing Week looks set to lose it’s title sponsor. Sir Allen Stanford, has been charged with an alleged $8 billion dollar fraud by America’s SEC.

America’s Securities and Exchange Commission says that the Texan billionaire financier had orchestrated an alleged “fraudulent, multi-billion dollar investment scheme”.

It is believed that Stanford’s support of Antigua Sailing Week was in the region of $US100,000 and US$150,000. Which only a couple of months to go, it will be difficult to find a sponsor who would take the risk of association with the Stanford scandal.

Sponsorship has allowed the regatta to become more professional and commercial. Like Cowes Week in the UK, the event can continue to be held without title sponsorship, but momentum that had been built by having a little extra money will be lost.

  • Paul32

    Another American Tourist has been murdered on Antigua less than a mile from where Drew Gollan, the Australian yachtsman was murdered. Looks like the Antiguan government has taken no action to ensure our securtiy on the island.
    Nilssen’s body was discovered at about 5 pm, Tuesday, lying face up with a single puncture wound to the neck. She was dressed in the multi-coloured wrap skirt, beige top and leather sandals which she was wearing when she was last seen. Nilssen was 5 feet 9 inches tall and about 140 pounds.
    Her multi-coloured shoulder bag was found on the scene, but the police have not disclosed whether anything was missing from it.
    The dead woman, along with her parents, an uncle and aunt, sister and brother-in-law came to the island on Tuesday on a one-day excursion aboard the Royal Clipper. The gruesome discovery was made just as the cruise boat was preparing to leave Falmouth Harbour. The vessel was forced to leave the family behind to continue its cruise to St Kitts.
    Reports indicate that Nilssen went off along a nature trail while the rest of her family remained on the beach where a birthday barbecue and lime was taking place. That was the last time her family saw her alive.
    The path she took leading from that beach to another is narrow and surrounded mostly by Acacia (cassie) trees.
    When this newspaper visited the scene yesterday, the English Harbour community was busy as business continued as usual.