ISAF comes in for a lot of criticism, but credit where credit is due, they have released the World Championship calendars for classes selected for the 2012 Olympic Games. Releasing the dates in August is a smart move, as most sponsorship budgets for 2010 will be signed off over the next couple of months. It’s something that ‘pro’ events like the iShares Cup and Audi Med Cup should keep in mind. In a time when sponsorship is hard to find, having sight of venues and dates as far out as possible can only be a good thing.
The battle for the 2010 World Championship begins almost as soon as the New Year gets underway, with the 49er World Championship kicking off in Freeport, The Bahamas on 2 January. Next up the illustrious names of the Star class are set to do battle at the world famous Rio de Janeiro Yacht Club in Brazil. There is then an extended break with the next World title battles arriving with the start of the European summer sailing season. July brings with it the 470 Worlds in The Netherlands and the Laser Radial Worlds in Great Britain. Following on in August/September are the Laser Worlds in Great Britain, the Finn Gold Cup in the USA and the RS:X Worlds in Denmark. The World Championship season draws to a close with the ISAF Women’s Match Racing World Championship at Newport, Rhode Island in the USA.
- 2-9 January 2010 Men’s Two Person Dinghy High Performance 49er World Championship Freeport Bahamas
- 12-23 January 2010 Men’s Keelboat Star World Championship Rio de Janeiro Brazil
- 6-14 July 2010 Women’s One Person Dinghy Laser Radial Women’s World Championship Largs Great Britain
- 9-18 July 2010 Men’s Two Person Dinghy / Women’s Two Person Dinghy 470 World Championship The Hague The Netherlands
- 27 August-4 September 2010 Men’s One Person Dinghy Heavy Finn Gold Cup San Francisco USA
- 27 August-5 September 2010 Men’s One Person / Dinghy Laser World Standard Senior Championship Hayling Island Great Britain
- 28 August-5 September 2010 Men’s Windsurfer Women’s Windsurfer RS:X World Championship Kerteminde Denmark
- 20-25 September 2010 Women’s Keelboat Match Racing ISAF Women’s Match Racing World Championship Newport, Rhode Island USA