Hot on the heels of the announcement of the largest prize fund in sailing for the Monsoon Cup, the World Match Racing Tour has announced its 2010 calendar. The organisers have also made changes to the ‘Tour Card’ system that was introduced for the first time in 2009.
Event though the tour is under new ownership – the venues and events announced are unchanged from the current season though new venues are also being targeted.
Peter Gilmour said in the latest World Yacht Racing Forum newsletter:
We are actively looking for new venues and want to add two new events each year for at least the next three years. We already have interest from 7 venues. We are also looking to build on the management team and are actively looking for a Commercial Director and CEO, along with a PR and media team.”
The system of ‘Tour cards’ which gave seeded teams automatic entry into events in 2009, will be revised for 2010. 9 skippers and teams with guaranteed invites to six events of their choice for the year. Tour Director Craig Mitchell said:
“The Tour Card policy was first introduced at the beginning of the 2009 and overall it worked well but in order to improve upon it we have made a few revisions for next year.”
The calendar announced today is as follows:
- April 6 – 11 : Marseille International Match Race Marseille, France
- May 19 – 24 : Match Race Germany Langenargen, Germany
- June 8 – 13 : Korea Match Cup Gyeonggi, Korea
- June 22 – 27 : Troia Portugal Match Cup Troia, Portugal
- July 5 – 11 : Match Cup Sweden Marstrand, Sweden
- Aug 31 – Sept 5 : St Moritz Match Race St Moritz, Switzerland
- Sept 8 – 12 : Danish Open TBC, Denmark
- October 4 – 10 : Argo Group Gold Cup Hamilton, Bermuda
- Nov 30 – Dec 5 : Monsoon Cup K.Terengganu, Malaysia