While the Vendee Globe is recognised as a true test of offshore sailing skill and stamina, the event has only one start and one end. This is great for the Vendee Region, but limits the commercial opportunities of the race. One of the reasons that the Volvo Ocean Race is increasingly successful, is the stopover format that allows for multiple starts and multiple finishes with the bonus for sponsors and partners to activate in multiple markets.
[cleeng_content id=”723683586″ description=”99 cents or 10,000 hours. The path to being an expert can be easy or hard. ” price=”0.99″]The same format applies to the VELUX 5 OCEANS race, which has announced the dates of the starts in the 2010/11 edition of the race. The race will start and end in the French port of La Rochelle and visit Cape Town in South Africa, Wellington in New Zealand, Salvador in Brazil and Charleston in the USA.
- Ocean Sprint 1: La Rochelle to Cape Town – 7,500 nautical miles. Start date: October 17
- Ocean Sprint 2: Cape Town to Wellington – 7,000 nautical miles. Start date: December 12
- Ocean Sprint 3: Wellington to Salvador – 7,400 nautical miles. Start date: February 6
- Ocean Sprint 4: Salvador to Charleston – 4,000 nautical miles. Start date: April 10
- Ocean Sprint 5: Charleston to La Rochelle – 3,600 nautical miles. Start date: May 14
While adding stopovers and time to the race adds cost, sponsors can activate campaigns in a wider variety of markets than a n0n-stop race.
VELUX 5 OCEANS race director David Adams said:
For sponsors, there are opportunities for international media, hospitality and promotions in some of the world’s most spectacular harbour cities. For spectators, there are more opportunities to meet the inspirational skippers at the various ports, and to watch the spectacular Sprint starts and finishes, whether ‘live’ or via the media or internet.”
“The VELUX 5 OCEANS race management team is working with our city partners to deliver high quality stopovers for skippers, providing world class services, global media coverage and reducing costs as much as possible across the board.”
More VELUX 5 OCEANS News…[/cleeng_content]