With the leaders of the sport of sailing all gathered together in one place for the World Yacht Racing Forum in Estoril, we took the chance to ask some of them a set of eight questions.
[cleeng_content id=”657260062″ description=”99 cents or 10,000 hours. The path to being an expert can be easy or hard. ” price=”0.99″]The questions were prepared in advance and posed to Mark Turner from the Extreme Sailing Series, Jim O’Toole of the World Match Racing Tour, Knut Frostad of the Volvo Ocean Race and Richard Worth from the America’s Cup Event Authority.
The 8 Questions of Sport.
The questions we came up with to ask each of these commercial sailing operators were:
- What is your ‘elevator pitch’? (If you had to ride 20 seconds in a lift with a potential customer, what would you say?)
- Describe your customers?
- Who are your consumers or end users?
- What does a business model for a team look like? (Prize Money / Sponsorship / Revenue share of rights)
- How much does it take to win?
- Who is your competition?
- Who does it the best? Who do you look to for best practise?
- What is the most important sports marketing innovation of the last 20 years?
(because of time and answers going in different directions, not all questions were asked to all the participants, but all the subjects were covered.)
Mark Turner – Chairman of OC Thirdpole, Extreme Sailing Series.
More from the World Yacht Racing Forum here…[/cleeng_content]